[Ach] question / recommendations on hardware RNG sources?

ianG iang at iang.org
Wed Dec 11 07:58:04 CET 2013

This is indeed the problem with RNGs.  They are hard to recommend;
whichever statement you come up with, it likely takes the follower down
a rabbit hole, which is no good recommendation.

In the sense of what the paper is trying to achieve, I generally
recommend that, if you don't care that much, use what the platform
provides.  If you care more than that, you have to write your own.
There is no in-between, ... for the reasons that you are discovering,
every 'product' out there has to be audited in depth to find out if it
is kosher random, and once you do that, you may as well just write your own.

Now, because of the doctrine of 'best practices' we can also say that
whoever is reading the paper also doesn't care that much.  If they cared
more, they would research it all themselves.  So the recommendation can
logically be reduced to:

       Use what the platform provides.

iang

ps; for selfish reasons of being involved in 2 RNG projects at the
moment, I actually benefited from the post :)